Tuesday, August 2, 2011

BEDA 2: of car dancing, airports and ice cream

This evening I hadn't really planned on anything but just cleaning my room and having dinner with my mom, a typical evening. But me being me, I went and found something spontaneous to do with my friends that just happened to be going to Wichita to the airport to pick up one of our friends that has been in Florida for the entire summer.  My mom wasn't pleased about this plan when I only gave her less than a hour's notice that I was going to Wichita with my friends. I don't think she would have been irritated with it if I hadn't been randomly roped into going to Wichita yesterday with my best friend to the mall and then proceeded to hang out with him all evening until ten.  She got it over it though and let me go, it seems like she understands that summer is coming to an end, and that I've spent most of it at home, doing nothing relatively productive.

Anyway, so my friends came and picked me up and we headed to Wichita. The scariest part about this little adventure we went on was the fact that nearly EVERYONE knows that I'm horrible with directions...and I managed to get us to the airport with absolutely no problems. Let me tell you, I feel extremely accomplished and probably a little too proud of myself.  I mean, considering I was sitting in the backseat dancing the entire time, I'm surprised we ended up in the right place.

The last time I was at the airport, was I want to say about six years ago when we went to pick my brother up when he first got to come after he got back from Iraq.  So I wasn't sure what to expect out of the airport, especially considering there were so many freaking orange construction cones and signs that kept getting in our way.  But really, once we got inside it didn't look like a single thing changed. Except maybe they have better carpet then I remember, but that's not the point.

The most uncertain thing of the evening was we had absolutely no idea what flight our friend Kayla was on, so we didn't really know how long we were going to be waiting for.  But it was alright, between people watching and joking around with my three other friends it was a good wait for Kayla's plane to land.  I kept talking about how much I wanted to go through airport security just to see what my hip implant does to the metal detectors.  I mean, it's not completely metal, but I bet at least 3/4 of it is and it's bound to set of the metal detectors.  But we all decided I wouldn't try it today because even though I had all the appriate cards to hand over they were busier than normal and I didn't want to get in trouble for not having a ticket and trying to get through.

Eventually though, we figured out Kayla's plane was the one coming from Houston and it was a joyous event when we saw her coming down the hall past security.  I'm most positive that EVERYONE who was waiting for people off of the Houston plane was staring at us because, let's be honest, my friends and I are nerds and don't mind being crazy in public.

Kayla was hungry so we decided to go to McDonalds down the road from the airport so she could eat and the rest of us could have ice cream, though I opted out of actually getting ice cream because I had too much of it last night.  We get to McDonalds and it was busy and of course, there was even more construction going on there, so we just ended up at Wendy's across the street instead where we just sat around and hung out talking about our summers and listening to Kayla's adventures in Florida.

Eventually though, as fun it was, we had to head home and we piled back into the car and then the pressure was on me again to get us back to town and not get lost.  I successfully did my job once again, though with less dancing.

Sitting at the airport with my friends really made me think about that itch I have about traveling when I get into college.  I told my friend Rachel while we were people watching that I wanted to go to the desk and tell me to put me on the cheapest flight out of Kansas just to go some where and have an adventure.  But considering I had only a pair of sunglasses, no money and my wallet full of my identification cards for my hip, I decided I wouldn't do it...plus I don't think they would have allowed it considering I'm still seventeen.  But it was a good thought, I can't wait for the day when I can take an adventure some where without any plans what so ever and just see where God takes me.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Definitely take advantage of travelling in college, my study abroads were some of my best times in college.