Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Hashi and I

I don't think it's really set in since I found out a few years ago when I was diagnosed with a medical condition called Hashimoto's disease (which we commonly refer to as Hashi around our family) that the feelings I have when I don't take my thyroid medicines really start to change my mind set.

I was diagnosed either at the end of freshmen year or sophomore year with Hashi . I don't remember what exactly caused them to draw a strange amount of blood one day at the doctor's office, but they did. I remember my mom being freaked out when they called and left a message for her telling her she needed to call the doctor ASAP.  She was worried that they were going to diagnose me with diabetes since she has Type I diabetes and my dad with Type II.  When they told her I had Hashi my mom was relieved.

Hashimoto is a simple run down explanation is just the thyroid glands not producing enough (or as in my case, none at all) hormones.  For Hashi, in most cases Hashi is simply treated by the patient taking a thyroid replacement pill every day that levels the hormone levels to where they need to be.

One of the possible symptoms of Hashi is fatigue and a sluggish feeling.  I've been really bad since I was diagnosed about taking my medicine every day. It got to the point where the pediatric endocrinologist that I was seeing got extremely upset with me and lectured me for twenty minutes once when I went to see him.  Within the last week I started using my pill planner again, making sure I take my vitamins, pain medication and thyroid pill every day.  I managed to go an entire week taking all of my medicine. Then yesterday and today I forgot to take them since I was running late.  Let me tell you, fatigue and sluggish feelings is what I've been feeling the last two days.

It kind of shook me a little when I realized that the weird feelings I've been having yesterday and today have to do with the fact that I didn't take my Hashi medication.  I guess I just find it odd that such a small pill can make a massive difference in one day.  Also, considering the idea of me moving out in August means that there won't be anyone to tell me every morning to take my medicine, it just kind of scares me a little.  And maybe that's what I need.

Link of the day: Bad Hall Director I found his blog not too long ago, but I've read back several months and I literally end up laughing by the end of every single post.

days until MDT: 11
days until Valentine's Day: 21
days until graduation: 115


1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have to take a lot of medicine for my panic disorder. I have a repeating calendar event on my phone set to go off every morning to remind me to take my pills, because I feel it if I miss a day or two as well.