Sunday, January 8, 2012

birthdays

I never really realized that over the last few years I have slowly started to not make a big deal about my birthday.  I don't know if it's the special attention that throws me off or if it always end up feeling like just another day in the end or what.  Yesterday was no exception, even though it was my 18th.

Currently my family is in a financial rough spot and I wasn't expecting anything elaborate to be planned. All I asked for was my mom to make her green chile chicken enchiladas for dinner and have my best friend A come over, which is basically what we end up doing every year for my birthday. Instead of paying for a massive ice cream cake that takes us weeks to eat, I asked for my mom's special peach cobbler a favorite for everyone in our family.  That's really all I asked for, homemade dinner and dessert (with ice cream of course), I didn't want a party or to go out like any other eighteen year old would want to do.

Last night was everything that I could have asked for, all rolled up into one awesome night.  I met A at my house as I came from church youth group and by then dinner was nearly ready.  We ate dinner, sat around and talked about a variety of things. We then found out that candles don't stick well in peach cobblers, so just a tip there, for future references.  And then we went back to sitting around and talking as I opened my cards and gifts from my family and A.  We ended the night in playing SkipBo and having a lengthy discussion about books.

My favorite part though of my birthday was my phone call with my brother.  I don't talk to him often because of how busy we each are, but when we do talk it's always nice to hear his voice and hear his thoughts on things.  Our conversation last night was probably the longest one we've ever had, but it felt really nice.  We ended up talking about guns, which normally doesn't happen because I feel so incompetent compared to my brother and dad when we discuss guns so I usually keep quiet. I just had to brag about dad taking me to the range on Tuesday.  He sounded thoroughly pleased with me, even without seeing my target.

I've been so lucky to be blessed with such a wonderful family and friends.  I can't wait to see what the year has in store for me.

Link of the day: Dr. Seuss Just because I feel like being nostalgic and stuff.

days until 01/15/12: 7
days until Valentine's Day: 37
days until graduation: 131

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy belated Birthday!

SM said...

Happy Birthday!
and yeah, I agree, I don't really bother making a big deal about my birthday any more :P