Tuesday, December 27, 2011

BEDD 27: revelations of the future

It seems like the questions: "What are you doing next year?" and "How did you decide on that, are you sure it's what you want to do?" are becoming more and more frequent as graduation draws closer and closer each day.

"What are you doing next year?" is usually answered with me grinning ear to ear and talking about my college of choice and their history program along with other awesome stuff from the college.  It's the following question that normally gets me tied up though, the: "How did you decide on that?"  To be honest, I'm not even sure.

There for a really long time I was bouncing back and forth between ideas of what I wanted to do after high school.  All of them though did include going to college.  First I couldn't decide on a college, then I couldn't decide on what I wanted to major in.  And then back and forth. I couldn't decide on a college or a major let alone both.  For a good solid year and a half I wanted to major in political science (polisci), and then I went to a meeting with the representatives from the college I'm (planning on) going to next year and those ideas started to slowly change.

SC didn't offer polisci as a major, and I was on the verge of dismissing it completely.  It's a private college with tuition prices to match.  For some reason, I couldn't get the idea of SC out of my head, the only major drawbacks at that time for me not wanting to go to SC were the tuition prices and not having my major.

As I continued through the semester, I began thinking about other routes I could take that could potentially make me end up in a similar area that I had orginially started thinking about, which at this point I can't even remember what that was but I think it had something to do with law school in the far off future.  I had then confronted my parents telling them about SC and how I would major in history and minor in polisci instead.  My parents were both really hesitant about even making an appointment to go down to the school for a visit let alone apply.

Since I stepped foot on the SC campus, I knew SC was the right pick for me, and once I started talking to the professors and students at SC, I started feeling more comfortable with my choice.  It only took the one visit for my parents to fall in love with the school too.  My mom is just as thrilled if not even more than I am to go to SC.

I don't know why, but the idea of studying history has grown on me so much over the last year; and I've learned a lot about myself too in the process.  I'm just happy that I've found something that I enjoy and can still learn so much about and a school that fits just right with everything I could imagine.

They tell us in school when we talk with representatives from colleges and universities from across the state that we don't have to know 100% what we want to do with our lives before graduation, that the majority of people end up changing their majors in college; but I enjoy learning the mysteries behind what we are today.  I honestly can't see myself not pursuing history, but then again, I'm trusting my gut and my heart to lead the way; I'm open to anything in life.

Link of the day: Entanglement Goodness, I've spent a lot of time playing this game for several days now.  I find it so addicting to play while watching the evening news.

days until Senior Year Part 2 begins: 8
days until I become an adult: 11
days until graduation: 143

No comments: