Monday, December 19, 2011

BEDD 19: where are the layers?

I would have never thought, a year ago, that I'd be making this type of blog post. It just blows my mind away in a way, mainly because it means that I'm growing up and stuff and things like that.

My senior English class (labeled English IV at our school) is pretty intense, by far my most difficult subject we're throwing maths out of the equation for now.  It's taken a lot of work to keep up, and even now with how much I've missed this term, I'm still behind; but dear God, I never would have thought that I would have learned so much about literature in general.  My teacher, Mrs. Perkins; SHE'S AWESOME.

Every time I read a book I can't help but think about things like motif, theme, symbolism and a bunch of other things that I've been working with for the last several months.  It just goes to show that those things have been pounded into my brain left to stay for forever, or at least until May 19th, 2012.  No I haven't been taking notes on the books I've been reading outside of class, but when I think about a book after I've finished it, all of it just appears in my brain.

The last couple of books that I've read, The Mermaid's Mirror by L.K. Madigan and Where I Want To Be by Adele Griffin haven't been up to par with my reading standards that I suddenly complied over the last few months.  On the surface these two books are good in their own individual and unique ways, but when I look deeper for a layer or two into what the book was supposed to say, I came up pretty empty handed and a bit confused in the end.

I wonder if I'm just overlooking books too much, or if I'm just a crazy loon who reads a lot of books for fun and analyzes them for funsies.  But then again, what if I was a lit major? Is that what lit majors do? Study books and analyze them?

I brought this up to my mom, how I wasn't finding many books that really interested me (also that I really don't care for series).  She told me quite bluntly that I needed to make the jump into adult novels and read some of her favorite authors that I've often questioned her about.  Which makes complete sense, since I often find that YA books are too simple for my reading tastes and don't have enough layers to them.  I've started a couple of David Baldacci books in the past year, but never finished them, but I enjoyed them immensely because of the level of reading the material was.

I don't know what I'm trying to say; but it just goes to show that even after all these years, I still love to read.

Link of the day: Best Fishing Bloopers I found this last week when I was surfing StumbleUpon when I was ill with the flu. My dad was here at the apartment and we watched it together and laughed so hard we were crying. Definitely a bonding moment since we both love fishing. I'm sure though, even if you don't care for fishing you'd find this at least a small bit entertaining.

days until winter break: > 1
days until Christmas: 5
days until I become an adult: 19
days until graduation: 151

No comments: