Friday, December 30, 2011

BEDD 30: a year in review 2011

I've seen a few other bloggers do this already and decided I'd do it too. There really isn't much explanation needed on this one.

JANUARY: Rang in the new year with a group of close friends and had a blast considering all the stress I was going through with all the doctor's appointments I had been coming out of with no new information.  A few days later I celebrated my seventeenth birthday with my mom and dad before we headed to St. Louis the following week for one hell of an interesting doctor's appointment.  Later then in the month, I saw my surgeon and set the date for my hip replacement; I could finally rest a little easier.

FEBRUARY: I was pulled out of school and stuck on an online program two weeks before surgery and managed to do a fair amount of school work considering how anxious I was for the big day to get there.  February 14th, 2011 I had my hip replaced and of course had some chocolate too.  I was visited by a group of close friends that still to this day I am very appreciative to have in my life and thankful they came to see me that night of surgery when I really wasn't very coherent and probably quite cranky.  I saw a new found ambition in myself that I didn't see before, one that wanted to prove everyone wrong about what they had once thought

MARCH: Nothing too terribly important happened except the recovering from surgery.  I was still working hard on regaining strength and mobility.  I also managed to get strangely addicted to March Madness basketball and became slightly outraged when I couldn't watch my teams play.  Went to the Department of Kansas Wildlife and Parks headquarters in Pratt for the first time ever; got my first hunting and fishing duo license and got to go through the  "museum" with dad.  A visit to Pratt also means eating at Donald's  Diner.

APRIL: I was still working hard, and my continuous hard work was paying off.  Went to SC and did a full campus tour with my mom, up the stairs, around the hill, down the stairs, in every building, around every building, up the stairs, down the stairs and around the hill.  It was such a great feeling to be able to keep up with a 20 year old who was taking full strides.  The awesomeness didn't stop here.  The week after that, I did a two mile walk in Wichita with my youth leader, we didn't stop but once during the entire walk.  Through both of these milestone events, it was just absolutely astonishing that the only pain I had at the end of the day was my calf muscles, and that was only because I hadn't been doing so much activity in months.  I also began driving again after not being able to be behind the wheel since early December because of the medicines I was on.  Also in April, I found several new artists and YouTubers who helped me through rough times; including Ministry of Magic boys, ALL CAPS, Mike Lombardo, Chameleon Circuit boys, John and Hank Green and various others.  Didn't do much fishing. :(

MAY: My mom and I moved out and moved to town.  Adjusting to living in town was a bit rough at first, but I found it easier as time progressed. I enjoyed walking most places, like the two blocks to the library and back.  I went to my best friend's graduation, which really put things into perspective for me; I had a year before that would be me.  And then the heat began.  Once again, didn't do much fishing. :(

JUNE: Hot, hot, hot.  June was the start of the hottest summer I've ever experienced in my seventeen years of living in Kansas.  For me, someone who enjoyed being outside started to prefer to be indoors at all times.  MRC classes started up again, I offered my wisdom and help to the theatre classes.  I got to see all of my family at our annual family reunion that was just far away that we could still sleep in our own beds.  I got to finally bond with Uncle Gale, seeing as he's the only one in the family who has gone through a hip replacement.  The same weekend, I went "swimming" for the first time since surgery and had a blast.  Except for my first time ever on a water slide, and ended up with a minor neck injury.  Giving up going to Girls State for the reunion was a great idea, I don't regret that decision one bit, quality family time is big for me.  Too hot to even think about going fishing. :(

JULY: MRC classes continued onwards, and I volunteered on the days when I could manage to get out of bed on time.  Fourth of July I spent at the nursing home volunteering for most of the day and then into the night as I got to help shoot off fireworks and hand out ice cream to the residents.  The trip to western Kansas to see the Bortz side of the family at Uncle Leon's funeral reminded me at any moment you can lose a loved one, and that spending quality time with the ones you love means more than anything else.  This trip also made me fall in love with Kansas all over again.  The hot weather continues on and so does the lack of fishing trips. :(

AUGUST: The start of senior year finally started with a big bang.  Old Settlers was hotter than any other on record, but it was still good fun because of the NFL booth, even if it ended with cool whip and honey in my hair.  Participated in BEDA for the first time, totally worth it.

SEPTEMBER: Wildcat football was off to a great start with the bashing we gave Pratt.  The musical finally gets a slow start, and last minute I decided to audition for a part instead of being head of costumes and make-up.  Cast in chorus I was at first upset but began to realize that theatre was more than I ever imagined it could be.  I also realized that I could set my mind to anything and achieve it.  Took the ACT for the first time, and managed not to die from it.

OCTOBER:  I learned who my real friends were.  Ate lots of sweets and had even more fun with my theatre family.  Joint pain became frequent; at one point the family doctor thought I might have had rheumatoid arthritis.

NOVEMBER: Attempted NaNoWriMo for the second year.  Got farther than last year, which was what I was hoping for.  Had a few rough patches before show week with my arthritis.  Had a great Hell Week, even if I didn't sleep much or get hardly any school work done.  I bawled like a baby during my speech at senior cast bonding, amazed at how much the people around me loved and supported me.  Had a fantastic show run with the rest of the cast, even if closing night ended in a weird way that none of us can really comprehend.  All that can be left said is Mrs. Batman is there, we all know it even if no one else believes us.  Celebrated Thanksgiving with Bubby, Tammy, Natasha and Robert; a great holiday was exactly what I needed.

DECEMBER: More stressful than I would have ever imagined.  Finished the first semester of senior year with a rough note.  Realized that my future is up to me and that I can't let anyone hold me back.  Celebrated a nice quiet Christmas with mom and dad; enjoyed the family time and mom's good cooking.  Moved with mom back in with dad.

link of the day:  Made In America I don't know how many times I've listened to this song. It's probably in my top favorite 100 songs for sure.

days until Senior Year Part 2 begins: 5
days until I become an adult: 8
days until graduation: 140

No comments: