Saturday, April 6, 2013

B.E.D.A. 2013: Today's Country Music



I've long since stopped listening to people who try to tell me that country music shouldn't be classified as music.  Instead I shrug my shoulders and try to keep my comments and opinions about rap music to myself.

If you're like me and grew up listening to country music you can agree with me that the genre has changed quite a bit, no matter when you started listening, to the present.  I grew up listening to a lot of classic country that my mom kept on...eight tracks, and then her collection of cds as well as the artists that were around in the late 90's and early 2000's.  Even to this day my preference is to listen to the Outlaws, or George Strait.  And I can't forget Shania Twain, who was my first cd when I was about six and my love for Shania's catchy songs on the radio made me beg for her music.

To me, today's country has a lot of rock inspired sound to it.  I at first was a little ticked off when I realized this difference but as I've listened to more and more of today's country and compared it to earlier music in the genre, there isn't that much difference between the two.  Some of the music that the Outlaws produced had some rock inspiration in it.

It's a hard thing for me to explain, especially if you don't know anything other than today's country.  I guess I'm saying that to me I'm always going to the love the classics.  That people today can't capture the stories like Patsy Cline, George Jones, Hank Williams, Johnny Cash, Jimmy Rodgers and countless others.  To me, when I think country, I think the classics, and I'm sure that's how it'll always be.

B.E.D.A. Day 6: Completed


No comments: