Friday, April 5, 2013

B.E.D.A. 2013: Healthy Habits


For the last couple of months now I've focused a lot on forming new healthy habits.  It's been a rough start seeing as I've had to stop and start a few times.  It does however get easier to go a longer time before I have to stop for one reason or another, and the hiatus period is shorter each time, making it even easier to start again.

Part of the reason why I have been focusing on my health is because I realized a few months ago that between my mom and my dad's sides of the family that my brother and I are pretty much screwed when it comes to our health in the long run.  With diabetes as the number one thing that has been passed down from both sides, it's also the tamest of things all considered.  Since the realization of how screwed my brother and I are, I decided that now was the perfect time to get serious about forming new healthy habits that I want to continue with for the rest of my life.

One of the things I first started working on, and honestly I'm still battling with it now, is realizing some of the triggers to my eating.  I had started noticing a few months ago that after meals I felt stuffed, and though it wasn't make me feel ill it still gave me an icky feeling.  And then the foods that I was eating so much of at these meals weren't the best ones to be putting in my body.

I have found that portion control is the way to work on fixing this.  I normally only put a small portion of all the foods I'm eating for a meal on my plate.  I have to promise myself at the beginning of each meal to only eat what I'm hungry for, and that I don't have to completely clear my plate each meal.  In the couple of months I've been doing this I've found myself feeling content after each meal and instead of feeling stuffed or full, I feel that I am no longer hungry.

Another habit I have been getting into is buying and eating fresh fruits and vegetables as often as I can.  Now that I'm home (there's going to be a post on this soon), I've been slowly incorporating my fresh produce into the meals that I make for my parents when it's my night to cook.  I'm not very good with cooking, but learning how to cook and working on these skills are so much more fun when I try to incorporate my fresh produce.

The other large habit that I've taken up is working out at least five out of seven days a week.  Although I have been slacking on this the last couple of weeks since I've been super lazy when I get off work and don't want to go to the gym, I do try to do something will benefit my body, like stretching for fifteen minutes before bed.

It's a long journey to get to where I want to be health wise, but I'm taking it a day at a time and remembering that it took nineteen years to form the habits I have now, that it's going to take a while to form and stick with these new ones.

B.E.D.A. Day 5: Completed


No comments: