Tuesday, April 2, 2013

BEDA 2013: Stuck



The last couple of days have been wonderful just because we've started to get some rain in our neck of the woods.  The grass in our front yard has suddenly become a dark green and has made me realize that I need to start mowing sooner than I had originally expected.  The wheat is starting to look healthy and full of nutrients as it's still growing.

With rain comes muddy back roads.

It's been a habit since I was a child. We've always taken the shortcut from our house west of town to the next town over where we often do our errands and grocery shopping. It's a clean shot on one road that leads us from here to there, and most often the road isn't that busy since it's been known to be one of the rougher dirt roads in the area.  About halfway the dirt turns to concrete and it's a smooth sail from there.

I can remember the first time I drove the road in my car without my parents with me.  It was wonderful to drive by myself.

It still is.

The bad part of this habit of using this road all the time is this.  You're brain doesn't fully comprehend that it shouldn't drive this road after it's been raining nearly two days straight.

I ended up getting my car stuck about a third of the way down the road after the concrete ended and the dirt/mud began.  I was doing alright until I hit a particularly soupy part of the road and lost control of the wheel for a little bit.  My car ended up in the ditch, but thankfully the part of the road was in an area that the ditch wasn't really a ditch and I basically just stopped myself by lightly running into a large mound of dirt that a farmer had put on the edge of his field as kind of a bank.



I knew that if I tried too much to get the car out that I would only dig myself deeper into the mud. I gave up with trying to move it myself pretty fast.  I called my dad, thinking that since I was only a couple of miles away he would bring his truck over and pull me out, I'd be right on my way home.

He didn't answer.

My next call was to my mom, at work where I knew she was busy.  It was around the time I thought she would be heading home and I knew her truck could make the drive to pull me out.

She didn't answer.

My next form of sending out an S.O.S.?


Sadly, no one responded to this either.

Shortly after sending my S.O.S. tweet, a man passing by stopped and asked me if I wanted him to go get his truck to come pull me out.  While waiting on him to return, another man stopped and asked if I needed help, shortly followed by two guys in a truck so large that could have pushed me out.

In the end, the guy returned with his truck and his wife and daughter with him.  The daughter of whom I had actually met when I was in high school.  They pulled me out and made sure I got to the highway alright.

My car, The Hazard will need to be taken into the shop in the next couple of days to have a realignment done since anything over 45 makes the car start to shake and makes driving a bit difficult.

Today, God showed me that there are still people out there in our society who are willing to help someone out when they're in distress...or just laughing their ass off in their car on the side of the road.

B.E.D.A., Day 2: Completed


No comments: