Wednesday, September 21, 2011

10DYC: four books


This one was a lot harder to do, just for the fact that I read often but there aren't many books that truly stick out to me.

1. Looking for Alaska
by John Green

I read this over the summer, and though I thought it was a decent book I haven't really thought much about it recently.  It did however give me a lot of food for thought that I thought about a lot over the summer.  One of my favorite quotes actually comes from this book that helped me sort my thoughts out about a situation with a friend of mine that had happened a few years ago.

"Because memories fall apart, too. And
then you're left with nothing, left not even
with a ghost but with it's shadow."

2. The Dictionary

I know: I'm such a nerd.  But seriously, I love the dictionary.  I have a college Merriam Webster dictionary, hard back that my mom bought me last year when school started.  I used it primarily for debate, so there's a ton of sticky notes in it, and I've highlighted important words, that usually pertain to the government in some sort of way.  My English teacher a few weeks ago assigned us this vocabulary list and asked us how we were going to complete it. Someone said to look the words up in the dictionary, and she said that took too long, and that no one wanted to lug around a dictionary. Unknown to most, I keep my dictionary in my car. And I even named it Lucy.

3. Kansas Curiosities
by Pam Grout

I prefer to read things with historical references in them, or history books in general.  Once again, I know I'ma nerd.  While I was living in the library this past summer, I found this book called Kansas Curiosities in the new section.  Considering I love my state a lot and the cover looked interesting I checked it out.  I seriously learned a lot about my home state that I didn't even begin to know.  I read most of the book outloud to my mom, and she didn't know of half the things.  The book basically gives you interesting places to go visit throughout Kansas and a description of the history pertaining to that place.  I've been to about a third of the places in the book (which is the second edition, I have yet to read the first edition).  This book inspired me so much as to put the entire book on my bucket list; I want to check every single one of those places off before I die. And there's a lot of them.

4. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
by J. K. Rowling

I've basically grown up with the Harry Potter series, and I have to thank, again, J. K. for such a brilliant series. In general, the Harry Potter series has helped me through a lot of hard times but if I really had to chose a favorite of them all, I'd chose Deathly Hallows.  Deathly Hallows just seems to be the beginning of everything to me.  Yeah it's the ending to the series, but the fact that it still leaves room for imaging what happens afterwards is nice.  I can't even fully explain why I love Deathly Hallows as much as I do.

Today is awesome because: I'm giving blood for the first time at the American Red Cross who come to our school once a year. Bit nervous, but I"ll be fine.

days until ACT: 30
days until the fall musical: 54
days until I become an adult: 108
days until graduation: 239





3 comments:

SM said...

I LOVE history books. I'm obsessed with the dark/middle ages. (I think it's because I'm in love with the idea that some form of knights in shining armour actually existed and it isn't only the stuff of fairytales)
But yeah, history in general is just so interesting.
And good choice in books (not that I've read them all :P)

Natasha said...

I've not read any history books yet, apart from our textbooks at college but I really need/want to. I also need to read Looking for Alaska as everyone raves about it, and I do love the VlogBrothers. Brilliant book post - I'm a bookworm so this ticked all the right boxes and I agree with you, the colours of autumn are amazing. xxx

Unknown said...

I love John Green, I really need to read Looking for Alaska. That is definitely next on my must-read list. After I finish re-reading Harry Potter.