Thursday, March 10, 2011

re-discovery!

If you know me, you're probably wondering along the same lines that I am right now...how have I not mentioned Harry Potter in my blog...well, I don't know to be honest...

It's been a few years since I last sat down and reread the series from the beginning to the end.  Within the past seven days, among other things I've been doing, I've been rereading the series. Today I started Prisoner of Azkaban, and I couldn't help but think about how much of the stuff I kind of forgot about or in general how I felt like it was almost like I had never read the books.

For a moment, it felt like I had just discovered the books and was kicking myself for not reading them sooner.  I just adore how Jo writes.  I used to kind of skim reads certain parts of the books when I would reread them because I knew what happened, but I've really made myself slow down and read closely. And there's a lot of things I've really forgotten about that I loved every time I read the books.

For example, in Sorcerer's Stone, there's a short passage that I absolutely love between Molly Weasley and her twin sons, Fred and George:

"Now, you two -- this year, you behave yourselves. If I get one more owl telling me you've -- blown up a toilet or --"

"Blown up a toliet? We've never blown up a toilet."

"Great idea though, thanks, Mom."

"It's not funny. And look after Ron."

"Don't worry, ickle Ronniekins is safe with us."

United States paperback version of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, chapter 6: The Journey From Platform Nine and Three-Quarters ; page 96

I've always enjoyed reading that part, and I had kind of forgotten about it over the last couple of years. It made me laugh so hard that my dad stuck his head into my room to see what was wrong.

It just goes to show that sometimes re-reading and even re-watching your favorite books and movies will remind how much you love them and in some cases point out new things you hadn't noticed before.

Now then...off to read some more Harry Potter. :) instead of doing my school lessons... 

No comments: