Friday, April 29, 2011

remember when

circa December-ish 2007 (8th grade)
concessions at a basketball game 

This was me four years ago, and I've come a long way.  Straight teeth, somewhat controlled hair that isn't always shoved up into a ponytail, an outspoken personality.  I can remember when this photo was taken, it's one of the few occasions from middle school that I actually remember, or at least I haven't blocked from my memory.  I remember when I found my love for Harry Potter two years previous this photo, and eventually became obsessed in 8th grade.  I was actually good at math, or at least I passed with a B or higher.  I remember this was around the time I got into theatre.  This was also the time I decided I wanted to be in the film industry.


 circa April 2011 (11th grade)
Kenzie on the right, myself on the left after our club sponsored Mr. Wildcat Pageant.


Fast forward four years to the present. I would have never thought, four years ago that I'd have changed my mind several times about what I wanted to be when I "grow up" and eventually land on wanting to be a history teacher.  Never would have thought that I'd still be obsessed with Harry Potter, though I do admit, I have kind of backed off a little in the last couple years...or that I, who absolutely loves acting, gave up a chance to be in one of the most classic musicals we've done at Mulvane High school to be behind the scenes.

It just goes to show that nothing is for certain, I might change my major in college, though I find it difficult to believe I would because I'm so happy with the decisions regarding college that I've been making recently...but I could.  And though I find it hard to believe that, I wouldn't mind it.  If it's what my heart and gut are telling to do, and it'll make me happy I'll end up doing it.  I wouldn't be where I'm at personally if I didn't follow my heart and gut.

I had a moment during sophomore year where I just wanted to quite theatre.  That it wasn't going to help me later in life and that it was taking up too much time from other stuff, and I wasn't quite concentrating that well on school.  But I eventually rolled around into my senses when I unofficially joined the costuming/makeup department of our theatre department during our spring play production of Fools by Neil Simon when a senior trusted me and only me to help with his quick change.  And that then lead to me cleaning out and organizing the costumes and makeup cabintes and closests later that spring.

circa November 2010 (11th grade)
Curtain call for Fiddler on the Roof

I took over as head of costumes and makeup junior year, and put together a new system and trained new crew members while I figured out what the hell I was doing.  Honestly, I don't know what the hell I was thinking that spring, and that summer, and then that fall when I went up to our drama teacher after class and said that if he would let me I'd take over.  Let me give you a little background, previous to Fiddler on the Roof.  I couldn't braid hair, I couldn't curl anyone's hair if my life depended on it.  The only makeup I could do, was stage makeup, on my own face.  I had never used special affects, including spirit gum and the similar likes.  I had never in my life been in charge of clothing 30+ people.  And then on top of this, I was in charge of my crew, who was basically as new as I was to the costuming and makeup side of theatre.

Junior year of high school has been my worse, and my best year of high school thus far.  Fiddler on the Roof is a good example of this.  Late October, early November was when I really began having bad hip issues.  And if you want a detailed summary of these issues, go back to my other blog posts in the beginning...I somehow managed to continue everything that I was doing through this horrific pain I was experiencing when half the time I could barely get out of bed.  I ran my ass off during that show, literally being every where at once, and it seemed like I never let myself breathe.  The last week and a half of the show, I worked in my wheelchair.  I couldn't walk much.  But it was me pushing myself to not let down anyone, and make everyone shine that helped me.  This show, as much stress as it gave me, it payed off.  I really found a part of who I am in the process.  Even the things we thought we could never do, that could never work, could work.

The unexpected can be a great thing, we just have to give it's chance.

And to think, it's killing me sitting here, having absolutely NOTHING to do with our current spring show that I can't work on because I'm currently home schooled due to having my hip replaced.  I mean, Night of the Living Dead.  Black and white version, I've freaking freaked out over this several times, that I'm missing this awesome costuming and makeup chance to shine...

No comments: