Monday, November 8, 2010

what nerves?

This morning I updated my Facebook status from my phone to "is nervous for today".  And, truthfully, I was.  Going into school in a wheelchair is something that I hadn't wanted to do until I really absolutely needed it, but I had to do it.  I couldn't take the pain in my hip at the end of the day when I would basically cry myself to sleep.

I didn't like the thought of all eyes being on me as I rolled myself through the commons towards my locker.  I didn't like the thought of having to ask the inevitable questions; "What happened?", "Are you okay?", "Why are you in a wheelchair?"  But I sucked it up, because I knew I would have to do it sooner or later.  I chose sooner.

I got my first class, with the aid of one of my best friends whom opened the door and waited patiently as I got things sorted out with the teacher.  As I sat there through first hour, Spanish 1, attempting to catch up from my absence from last week, I realized that I was going to be just fine.  I didn't care what people thought of me before I had to use the wheelchair, so why should I now?

Throughout the day, I became more comfortable in asking people to open the doors for me, and politely asking them to move out of my way instead of just kicking them with my good leg something I had thought very seriously about.  Needless to say, I'm fine being a wheelchair at school. My teachers are very understanding and helpful.  My friends make me laugh when I need it the most and keep me from falling asleep, and I even let them push me down the hall.

I think I need to put a seat belt on the wheelchair...just as safety precaution.

No comments: